The possibilities Benefits of Intermodal Transport System are numerous. It introduces an easy and safer way of transporting goods as it involves more than one transport mode. Here are 10 key benefits of the intermodal transport system;
- Lower cost alternative to truckload: When the freight lane fits characteristics that are beneficial to intermodal , it can result in
improvement in price over truckload.
2. Sustainability: The intermodal transportation system creates a momentum for further improvement and drives more collaboration on sustainability initiatives in the transportation sector.
3. Increased Level of Security: With intermodal transport system, there is a high level of guarantee of safety of your goods and them not being manipulated, compared to the inimical transport system that poses more security risks.
4. Reduces Traffic Congestion: Traffic congestion is reduced as goods are fragmented and transported via various modes in the intermodal transport system.
5. Reliable Capacity: Intermodal provides a tremendous amount of 53′ capacity, particularly on high volume lanes. It is also is a great play to augment truckload capacity. Augmenting the lane is a strategy we see many shippers employ. Intermodal’s operational characteristics work far better than truckload for some lanes.
6. Optimizes the Efficiency of Truck and Rail: Since it combines multiple transport modes, it also optimized the efficiency and efficacy of these means of freight transportation. With intermodal transportation, the benefits of using both truck and rail are fully harnessed.
7. Improves Safety: there is a greater safety of freights with intermodal transportation in comparison with a inimical transportation. Goods cannot be easily hijacked or stolen as they are moved using multiple means of transportation.
8. Easy to Monitor: Intermodal transportation introduces monitoring made easy as data concerning each shipment are better organized, collected and collated, making it smoother to monitor freights.
9. Greater Efficiency: More and more transactions require the transport of goods. The most commonly used is land transport, which allows goods to be delivered “door to door”. However, this means of transport is less safe (road safety, traffic congestion) and less sustainable due to the environmental pollution caused by such. Hence, intermodal transportation poses a better, more
secure, greater efficient alternative, as it combines the door-to-door benefit of road transport with the efficiency and sustainability provided by other means such as train or ship. With the intermodal transport system, a more efficient mode of freight transport is sought both in terms of costs and sustainability, as well as minimizing cargo handling.
10. Reduces Environmental Pollution: As a Benefits of Intermodal Transport System, which is preferred all over the world as it offers environmental benefits such as reduced CO2, Particulate Matter & N2O emissions, and Lower Diesel and Fuel Composition particularly at a time of rapidly depleting natural resources. There is lesser noise, air and land pollution with the intermodal transport system.
Intermodal transportation allows for route changes and reduces highway use, which results in lesser noise pollution, more reliable delivery time notifications; elimination of traffic and customs processes on the highway, fixed departure schedules; higher quality service standards; and easier planning and support for large-scale projects.